Saturday, July 31, 2010

Those great Danes!

My Dad, younger brother, Averie and I went to a Danish/American family reunion today, to meet the Danes that were left behind when my great grandparents came to America. It was pretty neat, and confirmed that awkward family reunions transcend international borders. I probably talked to my Danish family members (that didn't speak any English) just about as much as I talked to the ones that live here in Utah. My encounters with  Danish relatives went pretty much like this:
Me: (awkward smile and head nod) "Hi. Your viking ship looks good."
Danish cousin: (awkward smile and head nod) "Hmm.. Oh-kAY."
My encounters with distant Utah cousins whom I don't know went like this:
Me: (awkward smile and head nod) "Did you make the frog eye salad? Looks good."
Utah cousin:  (awkward smile and head nod) "Nope."
**10 second pause of not knowing anything else to say**
Me: "Hmm...Okay."
In the end, we all came together for a family session of line dancing. Further proof that my inability to dance is genetic, and that line dancing blows.

My grandma Bev (right) with her cousin Joan (top) and sister Margaret.

The children, making miniature viking ships. Can you spot the Dane in this picture?
A Danish Baby


Lars, the Danish ferry captain

Stine and Anders Neilson

Viking antics.
The Danish Q&A panel? Not sure why we made them sit like that.

4 comments:

J Cubed said...

I would have line danced for you!

Jess Craig said...

are you guys doing the watermelon crawl?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAA

and also, is this for real? i never knew you had a danish side. weirdo.

JMarie said...

Yes, it's for real. I am viking.

La Yen said...

I am SOOOOO jealous I didn't get to go to this! Lucky Danish Duck.